It’s the third week of September and that means it’s time for the Seriously Geeky Sundays October themes! I have something special this month because you’re getting two for the price of one. Sign ups for Secret Santa open at the end of October which means this post contains all the information about one of December’s prompts. So read on to find out what is in store for October and how you can join in the fun for December!
Taking place every Sunday there are six questions for bloggers to answer. You can pop over to the Seriously Geeky Sundays page for more information and see the themes for the next four months. You can take part every week or just pop in when a week catches your fancy. Every week I post my own answers and include link-up for you to pop your own link in so others can check them out your post too.
If you’re not able to take part on a Sunday then you’re welcome to post under the alternative title of ‘Seriously Geeky Series’ anytime during the week so you don’t miss out! Check out the new FAQ for more details.
Please Note – The word fandom is used in questions as shorthand for ‘book/TV show/movie/video game/etc.’ Please feel free to replacement ‘fandom’ with whatever term or media that works best for you.
Here are this month’s questions.
4th October – Celebration Time
Smiles, tears, drama; celebration in fandom can run the gauntlet of emotion as characters celebrate the small and big moments in life. As fans, we celebrate our love for those characters and the worlds they inhabit through anniversaries and milestones. This week looks at the idea of celebration from both sides of the fourth wall.
- What is your favourite celebration scene from a fandom?
- Which character’s birthday was the most memorable?
- What does celebration mean to you as fan?
- What was the last fandom related achievement or milestone you celebrated?
- Have you ever had/been to a fandom themed celebration?
- Do you celebrate any important pop culture dates such as movie or video game release anniversaries?
11th October – Where the wild things are
We’re talking all creatures great and small – and mythical – this week as we take a walk on the wild side of fandom.
- Cats and dogs frequently feature in fandoms, who are your favourites?
- Who is your favourite wild animal/bird?
- Tell us about a fictional creature that fascinates you.
- Which mythological creature interests you the most?
- If you could have an animal sidekick what would it be?
- You’ve been given the magical ability to turn into any creature; what do you choose and why?
18th October – Embellish
When I was in school I had an art project called Adorn, Decorate and Embellish and that is the inspiration for this week’s theme. Embellish means to make something more attractive by adding decorative details. This week is all about the visual representation of locations in fandom.
- Which fictional city’s architecture makes you drool?
- What natural location in a fictional world amazes you every time you see it?
- Sometimes embellishment goes overboard; what is the most blinged-up fictional place you can think of?
- And other times writers are just a little too good at their job; which spooky fictional location chills you to the bone?
- Which adaptation got a location design spot on and which one failed?
- Which fictional location made you think room #goals?
25th October – Around the World in 8 Sundays – Eastern Europe
It’s week two of our Around the World in 8 Sundays, a multi-week theme taking us around the world, and this week our spotlight is on Eastern Europe.
- Who is your favourite character of Eastern Europe heritage?
- What is your favourite film set in this region?
- In Hollywood characters of Eastern European descent are often stereotypically cast as the villain, can you think of a hero instead?
- Greek mythology frequently features in pop culture, which appearance has interested you the most?
- Which Eastern European country or location do you feel is overused in pop culture and which is underutilised?
Secret Santa Sign Ups
Secret Santa is a free event that will be happening for Christmas for anyone who wishes to take part. The only qualifier is that you need to have participated in at least one SGS prompt prior to signing up. If you haven’t joined us for an SGS yet you’ve still got plenty of time to so so as sign-ups are open until 8th November. You can join in any of the weekly themes or a past theme that you found interesting and didn’t have time to take part in at the time (see the FAQ).
So what exactly is the event? If you’re familiar with Secret Santa you’ll know that it’s a secret gifting exchange. Don’t worry, no one is expecting you to buy a gift for anyone. As stated this is a free event. The gift you will be giving in your capacity as Santa is a set of questions designed specifically for another SGS participant.
You’ve been reading each other’s answers for most of a year now, and have been getting to know each other, forming an amazing community, becoming so much more than I could have ever imagined. I think you guys will have a lot of fun this.
I am aware that this may seem a little daunting as well. I wouldn’t have suggested an event like this if I felt our community wasn’t a safe and welcoming group. I will be on hand for you all to run your questions by me, ask advice, be there for you to bounce ideas off of, and generally anything else. As the head elf in charge with a list of everyone’s names, I won’t be taking part.
To Sign up:
Contact me privately via direct message on the social media of your choice or email me with the following:
How to Contact you:
If there’s something you feel I need to know, such as you’re going to be unavailable during the event period (8th – 29th November) or there is someone you would rather not be paired with for any reason (positive or negative) then please let me know. I don’t need any details, I just want to ensure that this is a comfortable and fun experience for everyone 🙂
Over to You
What do you think of the Seriously Geeky Sundays October’s prompts? Let me know in the comments!
Share this post!
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you did please consider sharing it on social media using the nifty buttons at the top of the post <3
Support Just Geeking By
If you enjoyed this content please consider helping to support my blog. You can do this in multiple ways (click here to find out how!) or by donating via Ko-Fi to help me reach my current goal.