It’s the third week of the month and that means it’s time for Seriously Geeky Sundays February’s questions! This month starts out with a look at a topic that means a lot to me as a disabled woman and one I’ve taken great consideration in including in Seriously Geeky Sundays; representation in pop culture. For those who wish to avoid the valentines day chaos join us as we instead celebrate Chinese New Year by heading to Asia for this month’s Around the World in 8 Sundays theme. The rest of the month is filled with fictional engineering and virtual pets.
About Seriously Geeky Sundays
Taking place every Sunday there are six questions for bloggers to answer. You can pop over to the Seriously Geeky Sundays page for more information and see the themes for the next four months. You can take part every week or just pop in when a week catches your fancy. Every week I post my own answers and include link-up for you to pop your own link in so others can check them out your post too.
If you’re not able to take part on a Sunday then you’re welcome to post under the alternative title of ‘Seriously Geeky Series’ anytime during the week so you don’t miss out! Check out the new FAQ for more details.
Please Note – The word fandom is used in questions as shorthand for ‘book/TV show/movie/video game/etc.’ Please feel free to replacement ‘fandom’ with whatever term or media that works best for you.
Here are this month’s questions.
7th February – Representation
I thought long and hard about including this topic, so please know that these questions have been designed with the utmost respect by someone who understands the need for a respectful approach.
During February LGBT History Month is recognised in the UK, and in the US Black History Month is recognised. There are also several other awareness days throughout the month. With this in mind, I felt that this was the right time to approach the topic of representation in pop culture.
- Let’s start with a broad question; what do you consider representation in pop culture to mean?
- What representation existed in fandoms when you were young?
- Do you feel that representation has improved since then?
- Tell us about some of your favourite diverse characters.
- What fandoms do you recommend for diversity?
- When did you first feel represented in a character?
14th February – Around the World in 8 Sundays [Asia]
Everyone is going to be sick of lovey-dovey stuff today, so you’ll be glad to hear we’re skipping it as we head Around the World to Asia as February 12th was the Chinese New Year!
- Who is your favourite female character from this continent?
- How about a male character?
- There are so many talented people in the entertainment industry from this continent, who are your favourites?
- Since the 16th Century (Gullivers Travels), fictional Asian countries have appeared in fandoms. How many on this list are you familiar with?
- Asia is home to some stunning locations; what is your favourite location from a fandom?
- From video games to animation and film, Asia has a large presence in the entertainment world. What product/fandom has had the biggest impact on you?
21st February – Building the World
This week is Engineers Week, dedicated to the field of engineering and inspiring people to become involved in the field. We’re joining in the celebrations by dedicating this week to everything engineering in fictional worlds.
- Who is your favourite fictional engineer?
- While most engineers like to use their skills for good, some of them don’t; which “mad scientist” engineer caught your attention?
- In fandoms, engineering expands into new (and usually weird) fields; what one would you like to learn?
- More importantly; who’s teaching the class?
- Famous engineers are often depicted in fandoms, which has been your favourite portrayal?
- Which fictional engineers would you like to see team up for a mega engineering project?
28th February – Gotta Catch them all!
Way back in 1996 in Japan, a brand new game called Pokemon was released and it took the world by storm. Every year on 27th February fans worldwide celebrate the original release and even if you’re not a Pokemon fan you can’t deny the effect that this game has had on pop culture. This week’s questions are aimed at looking at just that.
Don’t worry if you’re not a Pokemon fan or never played a game in your life because these questions can be answered with Pokemon in mind or any fandom!
- How familiar are you with the Pokemon franchise?
- There have been various augmented reality games and pet battle features in MMOs since Pokemon was released, have you played any?
- A well-known one of these is Neopets; did you ever play Neopets?
- A new pet battle game has just been announced for a big franchise; which one do you hope it was for?
- What smaller fandom would you personally create a game like this for?
- Pick a creature from fandom and tell us what it’s battle abilities would be!
Over to You
What do you think of the Seriously Geeky Sundays February prompts? Let me know in the comments!
Share this post!
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you did please consider sharing it on social media using the nifty buttons at the top of the post <3
Support Just Geeking By
Image Credits: Pokeball clipart is from Clipartkey.