Welcome to the fourth gift guide in the Ultimate Gift Guide series for geeks! This guide is dedicated to tech nerds and if you missed the introduction post here’s a reminder of what a tech nerd is:
Similar to academic nerds, you probably already know who your tech nerd is because they are the person everyone and their mother goes to for tech problems. Got a problem with your computer? This is your guy/girl. Need to know how to set up your new TV? Yep that’s them. New program at work and you didn’t understand any of the training? This is your go to person. They’re also probably the person who doesn’t get paid any extra for all the hard work they do helping everyone so it’s about time that they get something a little extra special for the holidays, don’t you think?
Tech nerds aren’t just computer nerds and this guide will be covering everything from computers to photography and engineering. It it involves technology then it is featured here.
This aim of this guide is to introduce you to a variety of online stores that offer some fantastic products for tech nerds. I’ll be highlighting some of my favourite products and I’ll also be providing you with links to some additional gift guides for nerds. By the end of this article you will be confidently armed with a wealth of information to go forth and buy an amazing present for the tech nerd in your life!
Handmade gifts are not only an amazing, and beautiful way to show someone you care for them, they’re also unique. In the gaming world handmade items are especially precious to us because they are created by fellow fans who share the same passion we do. It is very hard to find gaming items in stores sometimes and that means there is a thriving market for handmade gaming products online.
I could dedicate an entire series of guides just to what is available on some of these sites so I have chosen instead to provide a list of sites and let you browse them at your own discretion.
Etsy is handmade heaven and you may find yourself losing several hours browsing there, so if you’re short on time go in with a plan. You can find literally everything there including things you haven’t even considered. It is also an international site so you have access to creators from all over the globe.
Another great handmade site that has a vast range of handmade goods for sale by creators.
Folksy is the British etsy, so to speak; it’s described as the “the home of British craft”. They have some fantastic items available that you probably won’t find anywhere else.
Similar to handmade gifts are online stores where artists sell prints of their artwork and designs. These unique designs can then be bought as prints, stickers or printed on a range of products such as t-shirts, notebooks and even clocks! This can lead to you finding the quirky gift for just the right person.
Like the handmade sites above there are numerous incredible items and artists listed, so here are some sites to get you started:
Products designed by independent artists that are then printed and manufactured on quality products. Each artist decides which products they want their design featured on, so not every design can be placed on a mug, for example. The variety of products, especially when it comes to clothing, makes this a great option for gifts as there is something for everyone’s style.
If you’re looking for quality design and fine art then Society6 is the place to go. There’s graceful typography, detailed art depicting characters and everything in between – and they’re available on every product imaginable. There’s apparel, furniture, home decor, art prints, stationery and my personal favourite – bags. Finding decent geeky bags isn’t easy and here is an entire site full of beautiful designs.
As the name suggests Teefury focuses on apparel, namely t-shirts, tank tops and hoodies. They have a wide range of designs created by individual designers, which they’ve also grouped into specific collections to help you find exactly what you’re looking for – something really useful for gift hunting!
Qwertee has a different setup than the other sites on this list. Designs are only up for a limited time so you have to be quick to get your hands on the ones you want. The great thing about this is that it means there’s always something new and fresh, and you get some incredible gaming designs. It is a t-shirt only site catering for adults.
A subscription box is a box of products that gets delivered each month, and you can choose to sign up for a subscription for 1 month, 3 months or more. Subscription boxes make fantastic gifts because they include a range of different products, often exclusive ones for a great price. Most boxes offer a variety of products so these are idea if you’re not sure what your geek/nerd likes. You can either choose to order an actual box or buy them a subscription/gift card which they can then choose to use when they wish.
Here are my recommendations for some great boxes:
- Saint Alberts Science Crate – Based on the concept of Saint Albert, this box is available for ages 8-18+ and is a mixture of science and engineering. It comes with the tools to solve a problem using engineering and building skills.
- Boxed Locks – One for people who enjoy mysteries and solving puzzles, this subscription box comes with a series of puzzles and locks that the recipient must open before getting to the chest inside. It’s a great gift idea for people who have a technical mind and love a challenge.
- Creation Crate – This fantastic subscription box comes with everything a programming or engineering lover needs to create something amazing. If you’ve got someone who loves to tinker and build, or a love for robots then this is a great idea.
- Gadget Discovery Club – Each box contains a state-of-the-art gadget worth £30-50 for just £24.99 and the first box is 50% off right now. A fantastic gift for the gadget addict on your list!
- Hacker Boxes – One for the computer techs and anyone interested in electronics this box is filled with useful computer components and projects.
- Kadenze – Kadenze is an online subscription service for education cources for a wide range of subjects including technology. If you’re buying for a student or just someone who just loves to learn new things then this is the perfect gift.
There aren’t many shops that offer a great selection of products for geeks/nerds in the real world, so the best place to shop for your geek is online if there isn’t a small local store that you know about. If there is a local store don’t be afraid to go in and ask for help finding that perfect gift; like me they’re there to help and will be happy to share their geeky knowledge with you 🙂
This list is a mixture of UK and US stores.
If there’s a gadget for it then Gadget Genie has it listed. Products include office and desk gadgets, niche spy items and geeky and fun products too. Whatever type of gadget lover your nerd is there is a gadget here for them.
This haven for unique gifts has some great ones for tech nerds including one that you can personalise, such as this Personalised Geeky Circuit Board Drinks Coaster which you can add any text or message to.
Steampunk items are usually a good idea for engineering nerds as they feature materials like cogs and dials. Not on the High Street has a fabulous range of steampunk jewellery which make unique and stylish gifts. Some of my favourites include their Steampunk Sterling Silver Glass Stud Earrings, Robot Ring and this Steampunk Personalised Wrist Watch which you can get engraved.
GetDigital is one of the few sites out there that has dedicated sections to Programmers and IT Administrators, so if you’re looking for a great gift for a computer nerd or someone who works in IT then this is the place to look.
Despite the name MenKind has a wide range of gifts suitable for both genders and there’s some great gifts here for tech nerds.
This is the place to look for something quirky for your tech nerd. One of my top picks from Uncommon Goods is this Apple Byte Desktop Sculpture. As the product description says it’s a fusion of the traditional symbol of knowledge, the apple, with the modern world.
This Build your own robot kit is a great stocking stuffer or secret santa gift for anyone who has a vivid imagination and an interested in engineering or robotic.
The point of these guides are to help guide you to find gifts and that is why I’ve not heavily suggested my own gift ideas. I also wanted to provide you with some variety and alternate opinions so here are a selection of fabulous gift guides to give you some inspiration:
- The Best Unique Travel Gifts for Christmas – If your tech nerd is also a traveller then this guide by Holly & Simon of Four Around the World is for you.
- 21 Brilliant Engineer Gift Ideas – As this gift guide by All Gifts Considered explains if you have an engineer to buy for then you’re looking for something exceptional for them. Head over to this guide and find that brilliant gift!
- Gift Ideas for the Tech Geek in Your Life – This guide by Shannon of Earn Spend Love is great for useful every day items that your tech geek will love and use.
- 28 Gadget Gifts For The Person Who Basically Has Everything – We all know that someone who is incredibly difficult to buy for because they already have everything. Buzzfeed to the rescue with this guide for gadget lovers that has some unique ideas to help you with yur quandary.
Wait a sec, she said don’t buy gift cards?! Well, I kind of did. I said don’t default to gift cards. I want to give you all the options and one of them is giving you a list of useful gift cards to get for geeks rather than just getting them an Amazon one or a general shopping one like Love2shop.
Most of the places I’ve already mentioned have gift card options, but here’s a quick and easy list for you:
If you’re still well and truly stuck for ideas for the geek in your life or want some advice then let me know! Either leave me a comment or drop me message on Facebook or Twitter and I’ll get back to you within 24 hours.
Support Just Geeking By
If you enjoyed this content please consider helping to support my blog. You can do this in multiple ways (click here to find out how!) or by donating via Ko-Fi to help me reach my current goal.
Unique Bloggers Group
Unique Bloggers is a Facebook group created to help small niche and multi-niche bloggers find a place together and help their blogs grow without being drowned out by the larger niches of beauty, lifestyle, travel and parenting. We offer daily promotion threads, resources and discussions to help you promote your blog in a fun and friendly environment.
Come on over, check us out and see if we can help you grow your blog!
Image Credits: Unsplash.